Visit the Belzec, Sobibor, Treblinka and Majdanek extermination camps of Action Reinhard and the former Jewish shtetls Izbica, Wlodawa and Piaski.
From September 12 through 19, 2020
Since 2004 the Sobibor Foundation, the German Bildungswerk Stanislaw Hantz and the Polish Studnia Pamieci organize an international study trip to the former Action Reinhard ghettos and death camps that were established by the Nazis in Eastern Poland. During the week participants can reflect on how different national states and populations deal in their different ways with the history of the Holocaust.
Under the code name Aktion Reinhard 1.5 million Jews were murdered during 1942 and 1943 in the gas chambers of the extermination camps in Belzec, Sobibor, and Treblinka. Action Reinhard was one of the largest and horrific non-military operations during the 2nd World War. During this study week, we visit historical places of the Holocaust and tell the stories, from a victim and perpetrator perspective.
Every year around 40 people attend the trip. Participants come mainly from the Netherlands, Germany, Poland, and Austria. The background of the people differs broadly. Survivors, scientists, students, journalists, policymakers and Holocaust professionals participate. With the University of Amsterdam and the ‘ Vrije Universiteit’ of Amsterdam participant agreements have been made. Moreover, the NIOD and the Dutch National Committee for 4 and 5 May are sending every year participants from their organizations.
The study trip includes a visit to the destruction camps Belzec, Sobibor, and Treblinka and to the concentration annex death camp Lublin (Majdanek). Furthermore, the former transit ghettos Izbica, Piaski and Wlodawa and the site of former work camp ‘Alter Flughafen’ close to Lublin are included in the trip.
During the week attention is paid towards the preceding history of the Shoah and its perpetrators but also in what way the Jewish heritage, including cemeteries and synagogues, are dealt with overtime after the war. During the whole week lectures and discussions are organized that connect historical subjects with current affairs.
A few weeks before we leave all participants receive six readers, written in German, with historical background information on the subject. In this readers, an overview of the history and eye witness accounts about the most important Action Reinhard locations are included (Belzec, Sobibor, Treblinka, Tarwniki, Lublin and Izbica).
- We travel to Warsaw by airplane and further on to Lublin by bus.
- We stay in a cloister in the heart of the old town of Lublin.
- Costs per participant: €875,-.
- Students pay €650,- (there can be conditions attached to the student rate, for more information on these conditions contact us).
- Included: travel from Amsterdam airport to Lublin and back to Amsterdam airport, transportation to and from all site visit locations, hotel costs, guidance and translations, readers, breakfast and dinner.
- Travel insurance is not included!
- We will arrive in Lublin Saturday afternoon, however, the official program will start on Sunday morning.
- A few weeks before the Study trip there will be an introduction meeting in Amsterdam.
- For additional information or signing up: email@example.com